Supporting Your Staff Through Relocation
During their long careers, many people will relocate to gain career progression or other exciting opportunities.
Employers must be mindful that relocating for work is a big decision, especially if the move is international. It can mean uprooting a whole family, leaving a well-established support network behind.
By supporting people with the practicalities of moving, a company shows that it values its staff and will be a great employer.
Multinationals often have people and processes dedicated to easing the process for their staff. By contrast, companies with less experience of relocation vary widely in the support they offer.
A word of warning to employers; we have seen several candidates change their minds about joining a company that leaves them to handle a major move without assistance.
Naturally, people will research the move and location online, but sharing local knowledge will help them make informed decisions.
Here are some aspects of the move they will need to consider:
- Local language, opportunities for learning
- Guidance on dress, behaviour and customs
Where to live
- Local cities, towns and developments
- Recommended letting and estate agents, removal companies
- Short-term accommodation options
- Schools and childcare facilities
- Local transport, connections to large cities and airports
- Options for travel to work
- Advice for drivers
- Shopping malls and centres
- Local markets
- Local doctors, dentists, pharmacies
- Requirements for people coming from abroad
- Banking advice, especially for people coming from abroad
- Advice for opening an account and international money transfers
- Cinemas, theatres, clubs
- Gyms, sports venues
- Children’s activities
Just give us a call on 0207 052 1038 or contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you!